Strategies and Movesets Help Thread

Discussion of everything related to competitive battling.

Strategies and Movesets Help Thread

Postby Lilac » 24 Dec 2009, 11:53

In this thread you can:

• Ask for help or suggestions on a moveset
• Ask questions about how to get moves on Pokémon (breeding, tutors)
• Ask a question relating to strategies and movesets (Moves, IVs and EVs)

Rules:
• No In-game questions – these belong in a different thread
• You must specify what you want; you can ask for a lead gengar moveset, but you cannot ask for a Gengar moveset.
• You can ask for something such as a good lead recommendation
• You cannot ask for a team to be made for you
• If you want to learn about IVs and EVs, ask here
• All Forum Rules are In action here

Enjoy!
Lilac

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Strategies and Movesets Help Thread

Postby Scnappy » 24 Dec 2009, 18:50

Well to join in with the fun Im going to request an EV spread for a Crobat running
Rest
Sleep Talk
Whirlwind
Superfang/(Anyother moves/)
This Set is based on the fact that you dont get the speed reduction And therefore become a Really speedy Phazer, Despite the Fact Simply Haze works I want to wrack up SR and Spikes Damage.
Kinda Gimicky Set I Know But its never been tryed so I had to ask if there were any takers with good Ideas.
My Youtube Accout: http://www.youtube.com/user/Scnappy118
Im Always up for a battle So Message me if you want one =]
Scnappy

Postby Arcanist » 24 Dec 2009, 19:06

Right, First of all, if you want to run that kind of pokemon, Crobat is not a good idea. Firstly and foremostly, crobat should NOT be running rest or sleep talk unless its a status absorber. Crobat doesent have defences, and any smart guy running a scarfed pokemon could potentially screw you over. Bulky Gyara was made for that kind of work, being able to rest talk any damage, roar away subs and phaze people, and fight back with waterfall. Its able to survive most things, taking a measly 32 percent damage from life orb maxed out grss not infernape, and k.o with waterfall or phaze with roar, and score some spikes/sr damage. Unless you want to purposly kill yourself, doing run it into thunderbolt xD.

Another huge problem for crobat is mamoswine. Things running ice shard, or scarfed jolteon will absolutely RUIN crobat unless you switch to a thunder absorber or a ice resistor. Running a mamoswine of your own can help here, as it resists the tbolt/thunder move and runs priority itself, not to mention opposing mamoswines usually run choice band, so they're forced a switch
Arcanist

Postby Scnappy » 24 Dec 2009, 20:11

Arcanist I suppose you are right but Gyarados cannot Fulfill this role as its too slow so roar dosent matter.
Crobat Has Millions Of resitances and It can outspeed loads, With a 33.3% (or 16.6%) Chance of getting through the sleep totaly unscathed (I think) then Its Actually quite a good Idea.
Also I've run Bulky Crobat And It's Better than many expect
Scnappy

Postby Lilac » 24 Dec 2009, 20:34

Crobat falls to the boltbeam combo which is extremely common in OU. Also, That Crobat is taunt weak and could easily become set-up bait.
Lilac

Postby Arcanist » 24 Dec 2009, 21:17

I think your kind of forgetting about MAMOSWINE AND WEAVILE AND JOLTEON (all ery common in ou and the bane of a couple of teams).
Yeah, Weavile is easy to deal with, but your kinda forgetting switching out is a fools idea because you cant play the same game twice with stab pursuit
Arcanist

Postby Scnappy » 24 Dec 2009, 21:28

the thing is that Many Pokemon are going to be a problem to pokemon, Nothing is going to beat everything, I will obviousley Have trouble with super effective moves,Also this is why I asked for an EV spread I want 1 that can Take a STAB'ed common move and Get off the Rest,Sleep Talk, ect.
Lilac: Taunt Fodder im Afraid, I can counter Setup pokemon thats the general point xD.
Scnappy

Postby Lilac » 24 Dec 2009, 21:50

well you can try it. But anything that outspeeds in will kill it instantly.
do you know that roar/whirlwind have minus priority so always go second? which basically renders crobat's speed useless.
Lilac

Postby Scnappy » 24 Dec 2009, 22:18

Thats Where Sleep talk comes in and why this pokemon Is So innovative. Sleep Talk Has no Minus Priority and Therefore it dose not get outsped and stays alive.
Also This is why I need a set I need to be able to outspeed some things Aswell As living one or two attacks.
Scnappy

Postby Lilac » 24 Dec 2009, 22:21

there isnt that much of a big chance it will hit whirlwind XD even if it does get one off, it will be asleep the next turn and a scizor could come in and swords dance while you have a 33% chance of stopping its sweep
Lilac

Next

Return to Competitive Battling